Hard Cold Start - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
General Bike Discussion All other bikes talk & other makes or models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Hamlin Hick

Hard Cold Start

i have a yamaha enduro xt 500 from 1978-79. it is about 20 degreases out side, and for me to start the bike it takes close to 100 kicks to get it to putter then after that about 10 more to get it running. i understand that this bike is not set up for cold weather, but is there any tuning i can do to the carb, as for the needle in the carb, i have a 50-50 ratio for the set up of gas ratio. i also have the lights on high beam and when the bike is about to start the blue high beam light comes on each kick. please help me

also i have no base line to go off of, this bike has been worked on for like 2 weeks now and we HAD it running, i have no idea how easy it is to start in the cold, so i thought id give anyone that has any idea wtf to do a heads up

Last edited by iFuerza; 02-08-2010 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Sand Expert

Nothing starts easy at 20 deg. I'm guessing it is outside too. You might have fuel freeze, oil mix problably isn't mixing. maybe parts sticking closed or open. I ahte to say it but I would wait till spring to get the thing going and then do tuning and write down everything you try. You will get a better indication what is wrong then. Check back, often. In the meantime try some fuel additive, a hotter plug.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Hamlin Hick

thanks so much. ive adjusted the gap on the plug from .030 to 0.032 and ive had better results. we got the bike over the winter and weve been workin on it in my barn. and yes its outside in the barn, so the bike is 20 degreese when i try to start it, hopefully in the 80 degree weather it wil start easyier

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM
time in a bottle

I heat mine first LOL .. seriously we can't get ours started for ice racing unless we heat them up a bit first .

my cold blooded fourstrokes will not start when it is that cold out its just a fact of life.

David
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Sand Expert

Good let us know, How you and the bike are doing after the winter. I understand the excitement you have for the machine, but its better to tackle it later.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
7c Forever

no experience cold starting 4-stroke MX bikes, I can't help much there guys.

my KX fires up second kick in the cold tho, even sub 0.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Hamlin Hick

thanks junior for makin me feel better lol jk. anyway thanks guys, ive been getten it down to a science for it to start, yesterday at 31f i got it in 6 kicks and idles, now i am eccountering a new problems. when i start it, it idles at about 1500-1700rpm. after i ride for a while, it drops to 1000rpm and enventually turns off when i stop or idle. ive had a minor oil leak aswell but i can fix that easily just trying to find the leak. this bike is here for restoration, and i hope to get it back to origonal shape. the bike has only 800 miles on it, and its a 1978
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
7c Forever

yea my KX is a 2-stroke and it's jetted for ice tho

one of these days I'll get the fuel injection back on it after I get the traction control sorted.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.