Dirt Bike or Quad? - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
General Bike Discussion All other bikes talk & other makes or models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Dirt Bike or Quad?

Which is more fun and why. The dirt bike or quad I'm getting will be primarily used for trails.

I'm trying to keep it under $4,000 so my choices are the Raptor 250, TT-R230, and possibly the Raptor 350.

Last edited by Vortec-Z71; 06-14-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Legal!

dude its soooo all personal oppinion... I LOVED my dirtbike... i fount it much more fun to toss around rather than a big clunky quad, it is more physically demanding though, as you have to support yourself on the pgs vs using the seat on a quad. though you are standing muc of the time on a quad as well with your ass hovering right above the seat...

pros and cons of each...

quad, easier to just putt around on, raptor 660 i had wasnt bad little more tourque would have been awesome!
zuke450 was awesoem all around tons of power light easy to swing around, plenty of tourque!

kx125 was an awesome bike for me smashed it around dropped it sooo many countless times,
yz250, 125 450F they were all awesome bikes! had lots of fun on them, when i ddint feel like working hard it was more of using a quad or messing aroudn on them...

trails are alot of fun on quads, you cant get through some of the tight stuff with them like you can on a dirtbike though...

personally a dirtbiek would have my vote, that and less moving parts, maintainance is normaly cheaper, asyou only have to replace 2 tires not 4, they are lighter, you can get a rack for the back of an SUV instead of taking a trailer, jumping is much easier on a dirtbike, landing on a quad correctly takes lots of practiceand is really jarring, dirtbikes with a good suspension setup is like landing on a cloud is beautiful!

thats about all i can think of riht now... let us know if you wanna know anythin else.
there is probaby a ton of stuff that i forgot to mention hopefully somebody else will chime in soon!

Ride safe bro! and welcome to the forum!

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Like hornet said, it's personal preferance.
I've got a Raptor 700 quad and a KTM 525EXC dirtbike and enjoy them both the same. I ride mostly trails now and don't feel one is easier than the other when it comes to bike vs quad...well maybe the bike is a bit easier I guess IMO. To ride a quad at a fun pace in trails takes a lot of skill and energy...at least in our rock and root infested trails in the New England states

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:11 AM
Major Member

For me, dirt bike. Hands down. I've had both, and for trails covered in trees, rock and brush, you need to be narrow. Only a dirt bike can give you that. A quad is fine if you plan on going nice and slow, but I was more into keeping a decent quick pace. Plus...a dirt bike is going to have better suspension, lighter weight (a bennie if you have to physically move the bike around!), and two less tires to puncture.

Just my opinion! Good luck with whatever you decide.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Life: Tragedy or Comedy

Dirt bike all the way. Quads can be fun, but by the same token, I prefer two wheels for all the reasons mentioned above.

I was out trail riding this weekend and had a blast. At least until I submerged my YZ450F in a deep waterhole that I cross-rutted in.

TT-R's are good bikes. But, if you're looking for something that will have a bit better handling, look for a WR-250F. it's more expensive, but is designed specifically for trail riding and has the potential to race. Suspension will be much better than on the TT-R's as well.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM
addicted

dirtbike!!!!!!!!

quads are for people who can't ride!!

(whoops, did I type that out loud??) hehe
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Legal!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:34 AM

Nothing like a dirtbike!!! But like most guys said, it's a personal opinion...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:37 AM

My votes for the dirt bike, they can be quite a blast to ride.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:19 AM
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK

Maybe it depends a little also on where you live and what your riding habits are. Personally I like the quad because I can ride all year long even in a foot of snow and have a blast. I have had a couple bikes and they really aren't that much fun in deep snow IMO.

If I lived in a non-snow environment, then I may go for the bike.

As previously stated: all personal preference.

Ride safe.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 04:43 PM
In Spies we trust!

I'd buy used for that price range instead of new. Used you could get a heavily modded dirt bike like a YZ450F or YZ250 two stroke that was only a year or two old. If you were going to spend the big bucks and go brand new I'd get a YZF450 quad hands down. Year round riding, little less learning curve for friends and family, more comfortable, and better resale value by far.

The other other white meat.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 04:58 AM

I've had both and I loved them both, however, it's all personal preference. If you like 2 wheels or 4 or 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I've always liked the offroad stuff, I'm just new to the 2 wheels on pavement! Have fun and good luck, it's a tough decision.