Exhaust question - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
General Bike Discussion All other bikes talk & other makes or models.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikecowhey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust question

New rider here. Looking at potentially getting a '05 R6 with a Micron exhaust on it. From a vanity standpoint, I really don't like how big it is. My friend has a later model R1 with a short Yoshimura exhaust which I like due to how minimal it looks. It seems like all the exhausts, including Yoshimura, have very long pipes that extend out past the rear wheel for the 2003-2005 R6 model. Why is that? Is it possible to cut the pipe down shorter without any adverse effects to the sound and power? Also, it looks like the shorter TDX exhaust design that I like is only for 2006+ models. Is there any way that I can retrofit that onto a 2005?

Lastly, given that this would be my starter bike before upgrading to a 2017+ R6 later on, I don't want to invest too much into the bike - just want to clean it up. I see cheap knock offs of the Akrapovic exhaust on ebay. Any thoughts on how these would sound? Slip on R6 Exhaust System Muffler Tip Mid Link Pipe For Yamaha YZF R6 1998-2005 | eBay

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:42 PM

The reason is that prior to 2006 the silencer (all of the silencer) was in the very large tube on the right side of the bike. A long exhaust system allows the factory and aftermarkets to tune the power and torque to different areas of the RPM range. In 06 they started incorporating all of the exhaust system including a catalytic converter into a box under the bike. It still has the length but it makes the exhaust to flow back and forth a few times before exiting out the side of the bike. Longer exhaust + catalytic converter = less noise needing a smaller silencer.

You can shorten the silencer if you want but it will affect the noise level and make the bike louder. If you make it too short it may have an effect on power but I imagine you would have to make it really short as well as shorten the piece of pipe in front of the canister to affect performance enough to feel a difference.

I just shortened the V&H on my YZF750R but only because for cosmetic reasons, the pipe had a bit of road rash that I wanted to get rid of.
wdkwang likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for clarifying that. Very much appreciate the insight