MotoGP - Three Yamaha's TOP Qualifying - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

MotoGP - Three Yamaha's TOP Qualifying

For the first time ever THREE YAMAHA M1's top the charts and starting grid for the kickoff to MotoGP in 2008.

Is Lorenzo the real deal? Well he is certainly starting the year off that way with a pole position time of 1:53.927 to top the rest of the field.

Toseland also seems to be doing very well aboard his new Tech3 Yamaha team with a second position time of 1:53.182.

The Texan Tornado finally seems to also be picking up steam with his new Tech3 Yamaha team, he rounded out the ALL YAMAHA TOP THREE with a time of 1:54.499.

Congrat's to a great start to the year and let's hope Yamaha can pull off a win to start the year!

Rossi qualified in 7th with a time of 1:55.133

Overall 4 Yamaha's in the top seven starting positions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:06 PM

w00t. JT ftw!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 08:06 PM

nice

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 PM
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK

Ride safe.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

A few comments from the boys in blue!

Quote:
Jorge Lorenzo - Position: 1st Time: 1'53.927 Laps: 22
“Only in my dreams did I imagine being on pole at my very first MotoGP race; I can’t believe it! This is something great for all of Yamaha; there are three Yamaha riders on the front row and this shows how hard they have been working. Tonight my M1 was working very well and with the Michelin qualifying tyres it was excellent, but also our race pace is very good. Tomorrow will of course be very difficult; it’s my first MotoGP race so there is a lot to think about, but I am excited and of course we will try to do our best and see what happens! The team and Michelin have done a great job over the winter so this is a thank you to them. I will try to get a good start and I will have to concentrate very hard on the first lap when the tyres are cold, and then we’ll see what happens. Tomorrow is another day however and for the moment I just want to think about this and celebrate a special night for me and for Yamaha.”
Quote:
James Toseland - Position: 2nd Time: 1'54.182 Laps: 21
“I didn’t think I’d be in this position tonight. But why not do it again tomorrow? The team has been brilliant to teach me how to ride a MotoGP bike so fast in such a short space of time. It has been awesome. I had seven years of a great life and a great career in World Superbikes and to become champion twice was amazing. Fortunately I made the gamble to come to MotoGP from that comfort zone and I wanted this success. But I know it can’t come without a great team behind you. The Tech 3 team has had a coupe of difficult years, but definitely not because of the team principal and mechanics. They are a great team and to have Colin also on the front row shows what quality we have. I just want to thank Herve Poncharal and all the boys, and also Yamaha. This is my first time working with this manufacturer and they have showed what effort they are putting into MotoGP. Michelin had a difficult year last season but they have worked really hard through the winter to get this success. I had three qualifying tyres and used one quite early. I didn’t know whether the humidity would get to a stage where there was a bit of moisture on he track like we had in the test last week. I wanted to make sure we got a decent lap in. On my fastest lap unfortunately I caught a couple of riders in a difficult part of the track in the last split and did a 54.1. I knew on a perfect lap there was a 1.53 in there but with one minute to go I could still see my number 52 at the top of the scoreboard. Credit to Jorge though for actually doing that 1.53. I’m looking forward to tomorrow and I will give it out best shot.”
Quote:
Colin Edwards - Position: 3rd Time: 1'54.499 Laps: 22
“It has been great this winter. We have been working really hard. That’s everybody in the Tech 3 team, Yamaha and Michelin. People ask me how I keep motivated for an old guy but when you have people around working hard for you and with you it is easy. We have all worked hard and this is a great start. I couldn’t be more pleased for the Tech 3 team and I have to say thanks to Herve Poncharal. He has got a fantastic team. He struggled through a couple of difficult years and its testament of how good the team is for us to get this result. But we can’t get carried away. We are still going to have to ride hard tomorrow. It is no secret we have a little speed deficit on the straight and we can't take any prisoners tomorrow. It will be a hard race and we will have to take a few chances and see what happens. But it will be a great spectacle. I love riding under the lights. It reminds of being a kid out on the motocross track.”
Losail: Lap Record
C. Stoner (Ducati) 2007, 1'56.528

Losail: Best Lap
V. Rossi (Yamaha) 2007, 1'55.002
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

and a few from Rossi too

Quote:
Valentino Rossi - Position: 7th Time: 1'55.133 Laps: 24
“After the test we knew that we weren’t going to be in perfect shape for the qualifying; we tried a few modifications but we weren’t able to completely fix the problem and so I couldn’t challenge for the front row. This aside however, I’m pleased with the progress we made today and our race pace is much better than yesterday. We’re still missing a couple of tenths from the front but we have a few small modifications planned and I think we’re in okay shape for the race. The third row isn’t great but we know that the Bridgestone tyres work very well straight away and so if I get a good start then I hope I can challenge at the front. The bike is feeling good, we’ve found some more grip compared to yesterday and for sure I can say that we’re in better shape than last year. Congratulations to Lorenzo because he was very impressive tonight and this shows that our bike is very good. It’s only the first race and I’m quite relaxed; I feel good on the bike, I can ride it exactly how I want to and now we’re just waiting for tomorrow.”