Any advice? - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
The Banter Room General discussion of anything.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
I fly? No, You falled.

Any advice?

Ok...I know we have a few parents on the board, and I'd like to pick your brains.

My daughter is 1 week shy of 4 months, and she is already teething. Her father went to Mexico for 5 days leaving me here with her, (no big deal I wanted it that way).

Well about 2 hours ago (an hour after he had left), she started screaming when she was just laying by herself. I went and picked her up, and she stopped screaming. So I figured she was hungry or she needed her diaper changed. I checked to see if she was hungry, she wasn't. I checked her diaper, wasn't dirty, but maybe was irritating her. She didn't have diaper rash but I went ahead and put desitin on her to be safe. She was still screaming, so I checked her gums, and they're no more red then they have been since she's teething. I checked to see if she had a fever, it was 100. I called her Pediatrician and told them what was going on. He told me to go ahead and give her a dose of her baby aspirin medicine, and that she was probably just cranky because she was teething.

This whole time I have been holding her except for when I changed her diaper. So, I gave her the dose that the Pediatrician told me, and that seemed to help for about 30 minutes. I put her down after I got her to go to sleep, and she slept for about 5 minutes without me holding her, then she started screaming, (I mean it sounded like someone was doing something to hurt her). I picked her back up and she was still crying, but not as hard. After about 10 minutes of me holding her, she quieted down and fell back asleep. I tried putting her down again, and the same thing happened.

I want to know if any of the parents on here have any suggestions. Right now she's sleeping, (and I'm not holding her and she's not screaming), but it seems that something is really bothering her today. Could it be colic? I've never had her act like this before, EVER. What else could it be that's making her scream in pain, even though nothing is wrong?

I've already called her Pediatrician again, and he said that it's just teething pains, even though I already gave her her dose of meds. He said just wait it out, and if her fever comes back to give her another dose of the meds. He also said that if she seems like nothing else is working by tomorrow morning, to bring her in and they'd check her over to make sure about everything.

(I know this is long, but bear with me.)

Question is have any of you guys had your child do this? She hasn't had colic at all, could this be the startings of it? What other suggestions do you have? It's hurting me to hear her cry out in pain. Do I just wait it out like the doctor said, or would you take her in?

Please give me any suggestions you have. Thanks guys,

Brandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

What are you feeding her?

We went through the same thing if it makes you feel better... it was a combo of colic and also the formula we were feeding her gave her really bad gas... not the farting kind but the type that would give her a tummy ache and that was why she was screaming. We went to Goat's milk believe it or not and that did the trick for us. she was on that until she was a year old then we went to normal milk.

On of the best things were gas drops, those seemed to really help her.

At this age her stomach is still developing and learning to cope with all these acids and such... it's take a while for there internal organs to adapt to this and learn what to do.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN

I agree with R1Lover, gas is a possibility. But I also know that both of my two used to be very similar during teething, we used that gel you put on there gums to numb them on occasion when it was really bad and at night to help them fall asleep. You dont want to go overboard with the stuff but it works.
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:32 PM

Does she refuse the bottle after a couple of drinks from it? Does she drink a couple of times, then fuss, the drink, then fuss?

It could be an earache or ear infection that has creeped up on her. Every time she swallows, her jawbone pressures the ear and irritates her. This could explain the fever as well.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
I fly? No, You falled.

We're feeding her Enfamil. She is on Gentle Ease, so it relieves gas better than the others. I've given her gas drops, and she doesn't seem gassy, and she's not throwing up, or spitting up. We've already had to change her formula from regular Enfamil to the Gentle Ease. The Pediatrician also has us use the Lacto Free Enfamil.

I wish I had the orajel to use, but I don't.

When she eats, she eats the whole bottle (4 oz). She doesn't fuss when she eats, and her ears don't look red...Could it still be?

I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid and over-reacting since I'm home alone with her.

Last edited by Mistyck; 11-07-2007 at 01:42 PM.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Ex View Post
We're feeding her Enfamil. She is on Gentle Ease, so it relieves gas better than the others. I've given her gas drops, and she doesn't seem gassy, and she's not throwing up, or spitting up. We've already had to change her formula from regular Enfamil to the Gentle Ease. The Pediatrician also has us use the Lacto Free Enfamil.

I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid and over-reacting since I'm home alone with her.
kids don't get fevers just because their mothers are paranoid.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 PM
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmac View Post
Does she refuse the bottle after a couple of drinks from it? Does she drink a couple of times, then fuss, the drink, then fuss?

It could be an earache or ear infection that has creeped up on her. Every time she swallows, her jawbone pressures the ear and irritates her. This could explain the fever as well.
Really good point there....would explain why she is more comfortable being held by you, you are probably holding her in an upright position that is relieving the pressure.

I should have thought of this too..our oldest was horrible with ear infections.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Well 100 is pretty normal for a baby though, teething can also elevate the temp a little.

When you have given her gas drops does she get better in about 2-3 minutes? It was like a light switch for us with them... we knew right away that was the issue.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Who me? Did I do that?

My first thought is gas..Mylicon works best..

Next would be ear infection, the fever and the screaming when laying down is the big givaway here... not to be parinoid, but take her in to kids doc, the sooner shes on an antibiotic, the sooner she gets better...

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Yes, Mylicon is what we used as well... it worked wonders for us.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
I fly? No, You falled.

I gave her her Mylicon drops. I just put her washcloth in cool water and in the fridge for a bit. Maybe that will help her out since I don't have the orajel.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:58 PM
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN

Hope she settles down for you. Try not to let her stress you to much.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
I fly? No, You falled.

Not really stressing, just hurting because I don't know why she's hurting.

Last edited by Mistyck; 11-07-2007 at 02:17 PM.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Motha Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Ex View Post
Not really stressing, just hurting because I don't know why she's hurting.

That is the toughest part not knowing what is wrong.

Don't worry it will be like this for a while, it is the fun part of being a parent.

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
I fly? No, You falled.

lol So I've been told.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Who me? Did I do that?

Pay attention to the ears.. if she starts pulling at her hair..won't lay down.. Ask the dr because they don't always know..

Both my kids ended up with tubes.. aside from the earplugs at bath/shower time, I haven't seen any drawbacks.

Rileigh had about 6 ear infections in 6 mons.. Gavin, the younger, had 4 and we went to the ent... it's an immediate fix..

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
I fly? No, You falled.

She doesn't really mess with her ears, or her hair. She puts her hands in her mouth and sucks on them, so I think that's from her teething. But I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the ear/hair pulling. She is sleeping right now (finally).

I had bad ear problems too. I think I went through 5 sets of tubes in my ears before I was 2. I still have really sensitive ears.

Last edited by Mistyck; 11-07-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:10 PM

the orajel is ok but the teething tablets are way better. you can pick them up at any supermarket
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Life: Tragedy or Comedy

Something else to keep in mind is that she's starting to get to the age where kids need to see their parents. So, if you have her somewhere she can see you while you do things, that can help as well. Beyond that, then they'll be in the stage where they want you to hold and carry them all the time. But, that's usually once they start crawling/walking IIRC.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snair View Post
the orajel is ok but the teething tablets are way better. you can pick them up at any supermarket
Yep we used those as well, she loved them... lol she would still eat them today if we let her...