Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

2009 R1 coughing while starting

16K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  partyman66 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Im new here and have tried searching my particular problem with no joy so sorry if I'm repeating something here.

My R1 is a 2009 model and due to an injury I've not ridden it for 2 months. It really struggled to start when i eventually took it out three weeks ago and each weekend since its almost not started. To my annoyance today she eventually died after killing the battery which is now on charge. I've heard that these take a lot to start (is that true)? And what could be causing the chocking at the start? It's just not firing straight away. (today not at all)...

I contacted my local garage that I've used for years and they won't offer to look at it as they do not have the speck for it yet......they said to contact a yamaha dealer

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this or if anyone has had similar problems.......I'm still hoping it might be as simple as changing the plugs etc....

Vince

#4 ·
Thanks for that guys, I fully charged my battery overnight and it fired this morning although a little reluctantly. it did splutter a little while out too so I'm going to check/change the plugs and take her on a long ride out with fresh fuel in...I wasn't aware about the special charging of the batt so I'm going to enquire about that.. Thanks.

Vince

#10 ·
there is a recall for this year model, but I dont think it has anything to do with your problem! Battery voltage is cruicial. Gas has been terrible every where from what im hearing and is very possible that you may have stuck injectors. some people soak them in fuel some supply voltage to the injecter very rapidly to work the injectors free. If the bike was running fine before it was parked more than likely the plugs are okay... plus im sure you would be upset, if u have never pulled plugs out of this model R1 .. just to find out they are fine ... this bike is fuel injected so there is no petcock to worry about leaving on or off ...

#12 ·
http://ecunleashed.com/ecu-tuning-item/2009-11-yamaha-r1/
I have looked into this problem one of my R 2010 R1s i bought was flashed the other was not the one that is not has a hard time starting on cold days. if you get it flashed it will fix it :)
Do you have any details on what was changed in the flash which might have addressed the cold starting issue? I have a Flashtune bike-side harness installed on my bike and have been tinkering with things in the RPM range that would be encountered during starting in hopes of trying to drive this issue into submission, but have not found a solution as of yet. I'm almost certain it has to do with the tune since the bike will fire and pop while cranking sometimes but just not catch idle. The fact that it does that should rule out the common response of people suggesting either a weak/dying battery or a failing starter motor.

So any updates or other info to provide?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.