blew the left fork seal - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
e-Thug

blew the left fork seal

it all started while I was running the bike kinda hard around a curb doing over 100. i never raised my fork back up when i raised the rear back to stock height. well there was a dip in the road that was 6-10 inches deep and about 6 feet long. i hit pretty hard and one of my buddies told me that i was leaking fluid at a light. come to find out my seal blew. how hard is it to replace? Im going to run by yamaha this friday and buy them. just wondering about any pointers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Life: Tragedy or Comedy

If this is the first time taking them apart, I'd ship it out and have someone else do it for you. This way, they'll also spring and revalve it for your weight.

Not sure how far these guys are from you. But, they're in Georgia:

Traxxion Dynamics

I haven't had anything done by them so I can't speak from personal experience. However, I know many who have and will attest to their quality.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Suzuki's ROCK!!!!!

Traxxion revalved/resprung the forks on my 750 and installed a Pnske shock for me. Complete difference. I dont know how much you can afford, but suspension is one of the best things you can do to a bike

<a href=http://www.basichosting.avatarimage.net/ target=_blank><a href=http://www.basichosting.avatarimage.net/uploads/4c7dc85329.jpg target=_blank>http://www.basichosting.avatarimage....4c7dc85329.jpg</a></a>

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Legal!

that sucks man hope you get it fixed at a decent price keep us updated always good info to have

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Site Supporter

I replaced a fork seal once and have no intention of doing it again. Last time I spent about $300 at a place called racers edge out here in Vegas for a pair of new seals installed.

ATGATT
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
e-Thug

yea, everyone at work is telling me to get somebody to do it, they say it is a hassle, but im the type of person that likes to fix things myself. but this might be something that i might pass off. if i do ill keep you guys informed. thanks for that site fjorn, i will look into it
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Life: Tragedy or Comedy

You're welcome. Unless you really know what you're doing and have the special tools to do it, I'd recommend pulling the forks and sending them to Traxxion. It'll save you a lot of headaches.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:23 PM

its not that hard . but u'll need some special tools or improvise.
and its much easier if u have a buddy helping u.
u better change the other fork seal also.

u can get fork seals from ebay , much cheaper then from the dealer.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
e-Thug

i have decided to change the seals myself. gives me more reason to buy the tools (you can never have too many tools). I know a guy at work that used to work at a super bike shop and he told me what is needed. from the oil level tool to the fork seal driver. When i do this, i will be sure to do a write up and post it for whoever else might want to try it. total cost of the tools is right at 200 dollars.... cant wait to get them
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 10:52 PM

good luck with that .
if u got questions,just ask

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
e-Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss r1 View Post
good luck with that .
if u got questions,just ask
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
e-Thug

well i changed out the seal yesterday. found out why i blew the seal. it was from my parking permit that was at the bottom of my fork. the fork compressed so much that it made the edge of the sticker peel and that was causing the leak. but i had to improvise to get the fork rod out of the tube. there is a plastic spacer thats between the rod cap and the fork spring. i think that tool cost about 103 dollars so i made a trip to advance and paid 16 dollars for a pair of vice grip clamps. sanded down the clamp arms to fit the 1/4 size holes to hold the jam nut and pulled the cap off. the only other thing i had to figure out was how to thread the cap back on the damper rod once i reassembled the fork. safety wire under the jam nut to hold the rod up while i threaded the cap. easy enough. didnt leak when i compressed the fork on the ground by me just pushing down on it on the garage floor. just have to reinstall it now . if anyone has any questions just ask me or sss r1