• 04-06

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • 07-08

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • None....I don't like the R1 :)

Votes: 4 3.3%

Votes: 14 11.7%

Yamaha R1 Forum

41K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  Greenj! 
#1 ·
This is the home of the Yamaha R1 Sport Bike!

1998 R1 - The beast
1999 R1 - The next beast
2000 R1 - A few more goodies and better suspension
2001 R1 - A couple small tweaks
2002 R1 - Rocket Science applied - Fuel Injection and new design
2003 R1 - A couple minor adjustments and the "Flame Paint" :lol
2004 R1 - All new design... Lower bottom end, much better top end, still lacking midrange
2005 R1 - A couple minor adjustments
2006 R1 - Nothing new
2007 R1 - The best R1 ever, new design, new motor, fly by wire.... The beast has risen again.
2008 R1 - A couple small tweaks
2009 R1 - What's next?????

#39 ·
Well simply put the R1 is Yamaha's flagship sportbike. It is built for performance so saying it is "BEST" in any other category before performance is sad :no.

I owned a 2000. Purchased it brand new and put 25,000 + miles on it. Of which around 20,000 were attributed to trackdays and racing. The 07 has better performance in every area. Frame, swingarm, suspension, brakes, motor, transmission, fuel injection etc ect etc. Yes the motor makes its power on top. That is where is should make the power since that is where the rpm's should be if your riding it properly.

When we say the 07 is the best R1 built to date we are referring to PERFORMANCE. It's not the same as saying: What was your favorite year? What years paint scheme looked the best? Which year had the coolest taillight?

All of these things are debatable and open to a persons own opinion since we all have different things that grab our attention. However, comparing the 07's overall performance is undeniable in relation to previous models. :D

Ride safe.

#40 ·
Well simply put the R1 is Yamaha's flagship sportbike. It is built for performance so saying it is "BEST" in any other category before performance is sad :no.

I owned a 2000. Purchased it brand new and put 25,000 + miles on it. Of which around 20,000 were attributed to trackdays and racing. The 07 has better performance in every area. Frame, swingarm, suspension, brakes, motor, transmission, fuel injection etc ect etc. Yes the motor makes its power on top. That is where is should make the power since that is where the rpm's should be if your riding it properly.

When we say the 07 is the best R1 built to date we are referring to PERFORMANCE. It's not the same as saying: What was your favorite year? What years paint scheme looked the best? Which year had the coolest taillight?

All of these things are debatable and open to a persons own opinion since we all have different things that grab our attention. However, comparing the 07's overall performance is undeniable in relation to previous models. :D

Ride safe.
I'm pretty sure the poll says which one is your "favorite"....:sneaky

I know what you're saying....I said the same thing in my first or second post in this thread. There's LOTS of reasons that a certain model of the R1 is anyone's favorite, but that's what makes the bike so great. We have so many different models to choose from ;) :beer

#49 ·
I voted for the 00-01 but here's my list of 1's I would own if I won the lottery let me change that to the list of R's
1. R7
2. my 2000
3. my 06
4. 98 red & white bone stock (maybe)
5. 08 R6 silver
6. 07 R1 uk white & red
7. 02 - 03 R1 track bike
8. Ooh forgot my R71 pile of parts project
9. Sight unseen 09 R1

But i'm more than happy with the 2 I have.

#62 ·
Hey guys! I know this is an old thread-really just havn a drink an readn some old stuff. Heres my $.02. Dont buy a honda if you want power, dont buy a kawi if you want handling, but if you want to just flat out spank buy a gsxr1000, they were always faster than the yamaha. BUT, i now own only yamahas, but the newer r1's, puk! After '03 forget it! The '04 and newer with the undertail exhaust? They should have left that to the hondas. Havent bought another r1 'cuz of just that. F's up the whole lines of the r1. Look at the motogp M1, NO UNDERTAIL EXHAUST!!! So all you newer r1 owners are probably gonna dump on me, hey its cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.