Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

02 r1 wont stay running

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Chevy 
#1 ·
So last year I was side swiped around October and went down. The bike has been sitting ever since until about 2 months ago when I started working on it again to get it running. Replacing all the cosmetic parts fairings plastics etc. The clutch cover broke so I replaced that along with clutch cable, master cylinder and both levers. Put it all back together and did an oil change on it and a new battery. When I went to start it (fresh gas in the tank) I had the hardest time starting it. It would crank and it wouldn't start. After about 5 minutes I got it to start but idled really ruff I figured its been sitting so might be normal. I took it out for a test drive and noticed when accelerating it won't really go past 4500 toms it just kinda bogs down. Does the same thing when I'm stopped and in neutral try to rev it and it won't go past 4500 rpms. And when stopped it idles so rough that it won't stay running for more than a minute. And then I'm back to trying to start it for 5 minutes. Weird thing is when I drive it and it start to bog out I up shift accelerate a little and down shift it runs fine after that. Until I hit the next gear get close to 4500. Sorry bout the long post. Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong with the bike? Only mods are a full yoshimura exhaust. And it was running perfect before the accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.