Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

99 R1 overheating

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Brodyr1s 
#1 ·
i bought a 1999 R1 for cheap and it needs a lot of work. can anyone tell me why it spits water out of the radiator cap when i start it and let run for a few mins. (cap off) i want to say it is the thermostat. but i was thinking it might be the water pump i don't know much about bikes but a little about cars. if it is the water pump what parts will i have to replace and where would be the best(cheap) place to get them? :thanks

#2 ·
Please help

is it normal for the water to spit out while idling to burp the system or do i have a overheating problem? i also have a problem with the bike reving up while riding goes from idle to rev then back to normal at idle the tech will jump to 7000 rpms and does so when not running as well any ideas would help.

#3 ·
is it normal for the water to spit out while idling to burp the system or do i have a overheating problem? i also have a problem with the bike reving up while riding goes from idle to rev then back to normal at idle the tech will jump to 7000 rpms and does so when not running as well any ideas would help.
one question buddy how is water getting out of your radiator? There should be a sealed cap and a tube right by the cap running to the overflow. To answer part of your question that is not normal and should be looked at by a professional motorcycle technician to assess your problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.