The 2013 and newer fuel Inj XT250 run well but they can run a little better. - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
Dual Purpose WR250R, WR250X, XT250, TW200, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

The 2013 and newer fuel Inj XT250 run well but they can run a little better.

I installed a Dyno Jet Power Commander FC fuel control specific for the 2013 and newer fuel Inj bikes. The controller comes with a map to match the stock configuration of the XT250 and three dip switches to add fuel +/- to the low,mid or high range. The XT250 just plain ran better and smoother stock with the configured map from Dyno Jet doing nothing other than installing it. ( With no other mods this is a perfect set up for stock)

(Note I wanted to keep the bike quiet left stock stock exhaust on bike)

More power can be made though. It is very easy to do with the Power Commander FC module. (The weak spot on the XT250 is the air box restrictions)

What I did to make even more noticeable low and mid power and smooth top end power. ( The XT250 is a low mid torque designed bike from the factory)

Step 1. I added a K&N factory replacement air filter.
Step 2. I purchased another air box lid and installed a 1" uni air box filter plug into the lid between the main brace that holds the filter down in place (note this is a very precise and tight fit to install this 1" filter plug as it just barely fits) This added more air to the air box (not much more air is needed)
Step 3. I adjusted the fuel controller low,mid and High as needed to run correctly. The XT250 runs great and has more power and is still quiet for trail and street riding.

(NOTE)

Setting ended up being stock pipe, Power Commander FC XT250 fuel controller 2013 & newer setting = low dip switch at +1 Mid dip switch at +2 High dip switch at +3,(These setting of course could and may differ on another bike but this fuel controler is very easy to tune. You can also use your PC for more precise tuning to the fuel curve if needed) K&N factory replacement air filter, factory air box lid with added 1" diameter Uni filter air box plug added to lid for more air to air box.

I really like the way my 2013 XT250 performs now.
Power Commander $199.00, K&N filter $45.00, extra air box lid $8.00, Uni 1" air filter box plugs pack of 6 $12.00

Happy Riding To All,
Bill G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1332.JPG (140.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1335.JPG (117.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1339.JPG (129.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1340.JPG (109.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1341.JPG (125.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1343.JPG (114.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Bill G; 01-12-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post

I installed a Dyno Jet Power Commander FC fuel control specific for the 2013 and newer fuel Inj bikes. The controller comes with a map to match the stock configuration of the XT250 and three dip switches to add fuel +/- to the low,mid or high range. The XT250 just plain ran better and smoother stock with the configured map from Dyno Jet doing nothing other than installing it. ( With no other mods this is a perfect set up for stock)

(Note I wanted to keep the bike quiet left stock stock exhaust on bike)

More power can be made though. It is very easy to do with the Power Commander FC module. (The weak spot on the XT250 is the air box restrictions)

What I did to make even more noticeable low and mid power and smooth top end power. ( The XT250 is a low mid torque designed bike from the factory)

Step 1. I added a K&N factory replacement air filter.
Step 2. I purchased another air box lid and installed a 1" uni air box filter plug into the lid between the main brace that holds the filter down in place (note this is a very precise and tight fit to install this 1" filter plug as it just barely fits) This added more air to the air box (not much more air is needed)
Step 3. I adjusted the fuel controller low,mid and High as needed to run correctly. The XT250 runs great and has more power and is still quiet for trail and street riding.

(NOTE)

Setting ended up being stock pipe, Power Commander FC XT250 fuel controller 2013 & newer setting = low dip switch at +1 Mid dip switch at +2 High dip switch at +3,(These setting of course could and may differ on another bike but this fuel controler is very easy to tune. You can also use your PC for more precise tuning to the fuel curve if needed) K&N factory replacement air filter, factory air box lid with added 1" diameter Uni filter air box plug added to lid for more air to air box.

I really like the way my 2013 XT250 performs now.
Power Commander $199.00, K&N filter $45.00, extra air box lid $8.00, Uni 1" air filter box plugs pack of 6 $12.00

Happy Riding To All,
Bill G

Update,

More testing and tuning to inc plug readings. (Plugs will read slightly diffrent with modern oxygenated unleaded fuels but still give a lot of good information). The XT250 even with fuel Inj is very lean from the factory as stated in the original post. The XT250 bike ran good at the settings in the original post but it was still a hair lean on the top and mid after more testing. After more testing and several plug readings and some more tuning my XT250 runs the best it has ever run.

* New settings now are Dyno Jet Fuel Commander FC, +1 on low +4 on Mid & +4 on high with the shown modified air box lid.

I am very pleased with the outcome of this upgrade. My 2013 XT250 now has really sweet low,mid & high performance and cruse at top speeds smooth with no struggles. The plug color is good and the throttle response is better than ever. The bike also gets to top speed a lot faster and smoother than when it was stock.

Happy and safe riding to all,
Bill G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1373.JPG (84.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Bill G; 01-16-2015 at 09:47 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Update,

More testing and tuning to inc plug readings. (Plugs will read slightly diffrent with modern oxygenated unleaded fuels but still give a lot of good information). The XT250 even with fuel Inj is very lean from the factory as stated in the original post. The XT250 bike ran good at the settings in the original post but it was still a hair lean on the top and mid after more testing. After more testing and several plug readings and some more tuning my XT250 runs the best it has ever run.

* New settings now are Dyno Jet Fuel Commander FC, +1 on low +4 on Mid & +4 on high with the shown modified air box lid.

I am very pleased with the outcome of this upgrade. My 2013 XT250 now has really sweet low,mid & high performance and cruse at top speeds smooth with no struggles. The plug color is good and the throttle response is better than ever. The bike also gets to top speed a lot faster and smoother than when it was stock.

Bill G
Originally Posted By: Bill G
Update,

More testing and tuning to inc plug readings. The XT250 even with fuel Inj is very lean from the factory as stated in original post bike ran good at those setting. Now with more time and testing and several plug readings my XT250 runs the best it has ever run at these settings with the Dyno Jet Fuel Commander FC, +1 on low +4 on Mid & +4 on high with the shown modified air box lid.

Bill G

I-22-15
UPDATE to my thread above on the modded air box lid and the Power Commander FC on the 2013 Fuel Inj Yamaha XT250.

After spending even some more time on a few long rides the bike ran great and had nice power gains. But and there is always a but, at maintained higher speeds there was some air box noise (rattle under load) that could be heard it was not real bad but I did not care for it myself and any additional small gains ( very small gains if any by the seat of the pants) were not worth the rattle noise and gas mileage loss to me. My mileage also dropped down to 57 to 58 miles per gallon average in town and highway with the air box lid mod and the added fuel in the low,mid & high RPM ranges that it took for this mod.

(Note)
I found the XT250 to runs 98% as well with the Dyno Jet map that came loaded for the stock XT250 configuration with the stock air box along with the K&N factory replacement air filter. This set up had no air box noise at higher speeds and performed very very well. ( plus at the end of the day the fuel mileage will be a lot better this way)

All and all in my opinion now for me after all the testing and riding the stock XT250 configuration with the Power Commander FC with Dyno Jets map matching the stock configuration plus the K&N factory replacement air filter is the best way to go for performance gains good mileage while keeping the bike quiet with the stock exhaust.

In summery,
It was a fun experiment but in the big picture Dyno Jet got the map right on spot for the stock configuration. The bike really runs great set up this way with a lot better performance than stock. What the heck it's only a 250 but the performance gains was worth the cost of the Power Commander FC and the K&N filter.

Happy riding to all,
Bill G