R1 wont start - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
Yamaha Forum :  Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

Welcome to the Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource > Super Sport > YZF-R1

Old 02-18-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
awenger

awenger is on a distinguished road
Default R1 wont start

Hi,
I have a 2001 R1 which doesn't start. I've had the bike for around 2 months. It's in good condition, done 18k miles on the clock.

The only issue I have is the servo motor needs replacing, I've tried fixing it, but I still get the tachometer error display. I've also purchased a new battery.

So here's what happened:

Rode the bike to work (18 mile trip), on the way back I filled it with around 6 litres of petrol (topped up tank), bike rode file for around 10 miles, just as I was slowing down to pull into my drive the bike starts to splutter as if it's out of fuel - which it isn't.

From that point onwards, whenever I try to start the bike, the engine kicks in for a second and then dies, I can keep the engine revving for another second if I keep on turning the throttle but the engine will not kick into life.
I've checked fuel tap is set to on and charged battery.

Any ideas much appreciated.

tx

aw
awenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
yamajj

Bike: Champs, '02 & '09 R1
yamajj is on a distinguished road

are you using the choke? when is the last time you changed the plugs? what does the tach show you? it's a diagnostic and it may be the throttle position sensor.

yamajj
Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
awenger

awenger is on a distinguished road

I always use the choke to start from cold.

The tach jumps like crazy, from 0 to 2.5, to 7 and then back - I'm pretty sure this is due to a failed servo motor. However a failed servo will not explain why the bike doesn't start - I've got a servo motor on order.

The only thing I can think of is that I've somehow put diesel in, which I'm fairly sure I didn't - am thinking of emptying out fuel tank and refilling with a fresh supply - really don't want to clean the carbs out...
awenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
yamajj

those tach readings mean something. did you check what the 7k reading on the tach means with the diagnostic? i'd check, but my service manual is on my home computer. i want to say it's the throttle position sensor. i've had to adjust mine before. who else has the service manual handy?

keep us up to date on this as i hate to hear about anyone having problems with their bike.

yamajj
Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
R1Lover
Administrator

Bike: 2007 R1, 05 V-Rod
R1Lover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenger View Post
I always use the choke to start from cold.

The tach jumps like crazy, from 0 to 2.5, to 7 and then back - I'm pretty sure this is due to a failed servo motor. However a failed servo will not explain why the bike doesn't start - I've got a servo motor on order.

The only thing I can think of is that I've somehow put diesel in, which I'm fairly sure I didn't - am thinking of emptying out fuel tank and refilling with a fresh supply - really don't want to clean the carbs out...
I was thinking the same thing... drain it and start over and see what happens...
R1Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
macattack
time in a bottle

Bike: 08YZ250f &YFZ450
macattack will become famous soon enough

_01 - r1.jpg
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
yamajj

i need my diagnostic reset. 3k - throttle position sensor, 4k - speed sensor, 7k - exup system.

come to think of it, i had to adjust my exup cable.....once upon a time, but it was on my '97 yzf1000.

good luck....and i knew someone would come thru with the diags.

yamajj
Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Vexzer
Schwantzing thru Texas

Bike: 2006 YZFR1
Vexzer is on a distinguished road

David,
Post the "Race Mode" page!

Go Back   Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource > Super Sport > YZF-R1