97 yzf750r, super hard to start when cold. - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
Yamaha Forum :  Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

Welcome to the Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource > Super Sport > FZ's, FZR's, & YZF 750

FZ's, FZR's, & YZF 750 FZ-600, FZ-700, FZ-750, & YZF-750

Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
carzar252

carzar252 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 yzf750r, super hard to start when cold.

I just picked up this bike over the week and It takes forever to get it started. I have tryed choke no choke, part throttle no throttle. all combos i can think of and nothing. if i crank it for a good long while it will eventualy start. (have to hook up a jumper battery.) once it starts it runs like a raped ape. no stumbles, flat spots, or popping, it flat hauls the mail.

when its warm it will restart fairly easily but after sitting all night. it wont. i put plugs in it and checked the air filter.

it has a d&d pipe and silencer, and a stage 3 jet kit already when i got it. any help would be good.
carzar252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Wicked1
mod impersonator

Bike: 04 rossi rep R1
Wicked1 is on a distinguished road

where are you located?

Im not gonna get laid standing around here, there are not enough gay people here!
TEAM: NO FAST NO LEAN
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
R1Lover
Administrator

Bike: 2007 R1, 05 V-Rod
R1Lover is on a distinguished road

My first guess would be to do a compression check on it.

How many miles are on it?
R1Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
carzar252

i live in reno nv. the bike has 19000 on the clock. though i have a hard time believing its a compression issue due to the way it runs after it starts.....
Old 03-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
R1Lover
Administrator

Well once the engine warms up the clearance will reduce due to the expansion of the pistons/rings.. etc.

It's a good place to start for sure as it's easy and cheap to test.

Once that is rules out I would look at the carbs.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
shake and bake

Bike: 750R
shake and bake is on a distinguished road

in my case, it was the carbs. the low speed adjustment screws were too rich, and the engine flooded easily when starting cold. choke made this worse. just be careful when playing with them, they have a big effect on your midrange.

i'm no carb expert though.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
carzar252

where are these adjustment screws in relation to the inlet on the carbs.?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
shake and bake

they are on the bottom back side of the carbs, recessed. they are flathead screws and very small. be careful though, you can get your bike way out of tune in a hurry.

before making any adjustments, be sure to turn each screw all the way in and count the number of rotations until they bottom out. write these numbers down so you can return the screws to their original positions if things get out of hand.

you only need to turn them 1/8 of a turn at a time to notice a difference.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
carzar252

do the carbs need to come off to do this?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
macattack
time in a bottle

Bike: 08YZ250f &YFZ450
macattack will become famous soon enough

I hate to stick my neck out just to have some more knowledgeable person call me a dumbass lol so I will pose this question ... Could it need a valve adjustment causing a hard start? 19000mi seems about where it would be and I have seen the hard start related to valves in person before.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
shake and bake

nope! you DO NOT want to try and take the carbs off. you'd be opening a BIG can of worms doing that

you will have to take the tank off, but not all the way, just enough to get your hand and a small flathead screwdiver to the bottom back side of the carbs. if you still have the stock airbox, you can cock the tank up on that to give you some working room without having to disconnect the furl lines.

you mentioned that you put fresh plugs in it, did you save the old ones? they may tell you whether you are running rich or lean, that would help when you begin to play with the screws.

here's a link that has a little bit of info on what your spark plugs are telling you:

linky
Old 03-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
shake and bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack View Post
I hate to stick my neck out just to have some more knowledgeable person call me a dumbass lol so I will pose this question ... Could it need a valve adjustment causing a hard start? 19000mi seems about where it would be and I have seen the hard start related to valves in person before.

that's a good question.

i had a few of my valves replaced at 12K miles. i had no compression on #1 and crappy compression on #2. the bike started just fine, just wouldn't run up top.

he said that his bike ran perfect up top, so i bet his valves are ok for now. your right though, i think 20K is high time to have them adjusted AND checked for compression.

these early genesis engines have a "stellite" coating on the intake valves that has a nasty habit of cracking off. that's what happened to mine.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
macattack
time in a bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shake and bake View Post
that's a good question.

i had a few of my valves replaced at 12K miles. i had no compression on #1 and crappy compression on #2. the bike started just fine, just wouldn't run up top.

he said that his bike ran perfect up top, so i bet his valves are ok for now. your right though, i think 20K is high time to have them adjusted AND checked for compression.

these early genesis engines have a "stellite" coating on the intake valves that has a nasty habit of cracking off. that's what happened to mine.
I see what you are saying when a valve failure happens the bike wont run good on top. it seems like a lot of speculation anyway probably better to take the bike into a mechanic for some diagnosis. i've seen bikes in need of a valve adjustment sometimes wont start with out a lot of crank time but once started they still run good enough to ride maybe a little rougher than normal.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
carzar252

thanks a bunch fellas. im gonna have my mechanic over at 2 wheel performance look at it this week. probly have the valves done just for shits and see about the tune on the carbs. the plugs were saying "too much fuel" and perhaps a little evidence of fuel additives based on the link on reading plugs.

I've been racing cars for quite a while now but i have found that its a whole new game with the bike motors.... not as easy to figure out wtf is going on.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
shake and bake

be sure to ask him to check the choke linkage. the linkage may be holding the plungers open, which would make you plugs read rich.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
babyit11
fear nothing

Bike: 02 GSX-R 600
babyit11 is on a distinguished road

post pics of the bike

By: Miss Landry
babyit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #17
Pathfinder
Cars are for Wankers

Bike: 96 750R & 08 KLR650
Pathfinder is on a distinguished road

I'm new to the forum, so I'll stick my neck out there. I've owned four 750R's and put a fair amount of miles on each of them. With 19K miles I agree you should do a compression test; its easy and will rule out a great many things. I rode my first 750R over 20K and never had an issue with cold starts. My gut feeling is that your starting problem is caused by the pilot curcuit being too rich. I live in Helena, Montana @ approx 4000 ft elevation; Reno is @ 4500. I have my mixture screws set at 2.5 turns out and that may be too rich. Also, check the condition on the pilot needles themselves, someone could have seated them too hard and damaged them. Hope this helps.
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #18
R1Lover
Administrator

It's great to see so many 750 owners here... I love it!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #19
macattack
time in a bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzar252 View Post
thanks a bunch fellas. im gonna have my mechanic over at 2 wheel performance look at it this week. probly have the valves done just for shits and see about the tune on the carbs. the plugs were saying "too much fuel" and perhaps a little evidence of fuel additives based on the link on reading plugs.

I've been racing cars for quite a while now but i have found that its a whole new game with the bike motors.... not as easy to figure out wtf is going on.
I hope it is something easy to fix. I also think it would be a good idea to do what R1l said the compression thing seems logical. any of the possibles given seem logical , so its good you are taking it in- good luck.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #20
carzar252

well, got the bike into the shop this week... and my guy says there are seals of some kind on the choke mechanism some where that are not allowing the choke to do its job... parts arnt available seperatly so the whole choke shaft seals and misc parts have to go in there too.... but i should have her back next week end and ill post up some pics.

Go Back   Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource > Super Sport > FZ's, FZR's, & YZF 750