MotoGP: Big Bang vs Screamer - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
Yamaha Forum :  Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

Welcome to the Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Go Back   Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource > General Forum > Racing Section

Racing Section MotoGP, WSBK, BSB, AMA, TT, F1, WRC, WTCC, etc.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
shagzomatic
doomsday machine

Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2003 R1
shagzomatic is on a distinguished road
Default MotoGP: Big Bang vs Screamer

Thought this was a pretty interesting article, would be especially interesting/enlightening for someone who doesn't quite understand the dynamics of the two engine types.

source

Quote:
Guest Column - The Big Bang vs. Screamer Debate in MotoGP

With the MotoGP teams switching back and forth between "big bang" and "screamer" firing orders, there is a lot of discussion about the relative advantages and disadvantages of the two engine configurations. On the one hand, Ducati has elected to switch back to the screamer configuration, with a great deal of success, while Kawasaki is working hard on its own version of the screamer, their task made more complicated by the fact that the Green Machine is an inline four. In the other camp, Yamaha are utterly convinced of the merits of the big bang engine, and have declared that they will not use a screamer again.

And there are those who believe there are even more options that this. An Australian physicist and motorcycle racer called Sean McConnell sent us a piece exploring some of the rationale behind the big bang, and offering a suggestion on how to get the benefits of both firing orders. We hope you enjoy it.

The Big Bang vs. Screamer Debate in MotoGP
by Sean McConnell

I haven't really had too much to say of late of my racing activity, except that I'm selling my bike and plan to buy something bigger, but this issue of screamer style engine vs. big bang in MotoGP is something that has piqued my interest of late, see this article on Crash.net for a bit of a background, that site contains many such articles on the topic that can be found with a simple search. Here's my two cents on the issue.

For the uninitiated a screamer style engine is one that:

"Has an equal amount of time between the firing order of each cylinder during the rotation of the crankshaft"

For a four cylinder engine, a screamer configuration would see one cylinder firing every 180 degrees of rotation on the crank.

A big bang styled engine is one that:

"has a very short interval of time between the firing order of each cylinder, and an extended break until each cylinder fires again."

It takes 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation for a four stroke engine to complete the well known cycle of intake, compression, ignition and exhaust. In a four cylinder, MotoGP big bang engine, all the cylinders fire within a very small angular range of each other, my guess would be within 90 degrees.

The guiding philosophy being that in a big bang engine, the "relaxation time" is long enough between the time when the engine is applying force to the road (the first 90 or so degrees of crankshaft rotation, or ignition) and the time when it's going through the non-force applying functions of a four stroke engine (exhaust intake and compression), that the remaining 630 degrees allow the tyre to re-grip, such that if too much force is applied during that 90 degrees of ignition and the tyre begins to slide, there is still 630 degrees of non force application. This provides a buffer for the rider to not be sent over the handlebars.

Changing up through the gears means that force is applied to the wheel with decreasing angular frequency. For example, if there is a one to one relationship (we'll call this first gear) between the application of force to the wheel and the engine, then in the big bang style engine cited above, force will be applied to the wheel through the angles 0 to 45 degrees, then no force between 45 to 180 degrees, then force from 180 to 225 degrees then no force from 225 to 360 degrees, thus completing one full rotation of the wheel. As the gearing increases, the angular frequency decreases, if there is a 2 to one relationship (we'll call this 2nd gear) then force is applied between 0 and 22.5 degrees, no force from 22.5 to 90 degrees and so on.

So we have seen how the angular frequency decreases with gearing, shortening the time the tyre has to re-grip the road if too much force is applied during ignition. As wheel speed increases, the time it takes to complete one full rotation naturally decreases. So there are two things that shorten the time a wheel has to re-grip the road if too much force is applied during ignition, wheel speed and gearing. The higher the speed and the higher the gear, the less "buffer" a rider has during a slide.

Until now we have only focussed on a big bang engine, for a screamer engine, the situation is certainly far worse. A big bang engine can provide far more "buffer" as speed and gear increases than can a screamer. The screamer engine effectively is applying force constantly to the wheel, there is never any (useable) relaxation time. When Honda switched the NSR500 to a screamer in 1997, riders we're throwing themselves off all the time, only the skill of the rider could compensate for such a nasty peice of machinery, one of the reasons Mick Doohan won an incredible 12 of 15 races that year.

But there is a way for a screamer to compete with the big bang in this battle to squeeze in some sort of relaxation time for the tyre, should there be a sudden loss of grip. The solution comes from, as indeed the entire development of motorcycles, the bicycle. In time trials, it is not uncommon for cyclists to employ an elliptical front sprocket (a bicycle mechanic would call it a chainring). The reason being that an elliptical sprocket can smooth out the application of force to the tyre by changing the torque profile during the rotation of the crankshaft. On a bicycle, the main application of force is to push down on the pedal, the rest of the rotation of the crankshaft, you are simply waiting until your leg is in position to re-apply that downward force. The elliptical front sprocket drastically shortens this waiting time between the application of force. The torque profile changes as your leg reaches the bottom of the stroke, the gearing decreases at the bottom of the stroke, pedaling becomes easier, and your leg moves quicker through this period of non-force application, significantly extending the time that force is applied to the tyre.

For a MotoGP machine, the philosophy is the same, but applied in reverse. Where an elliptical sprocket is used to smooth out the force application on a bicycle, it can be used to roughen it up on a motorcycle. What I'm suggesting is that an elliptical rear sprocket would change the torque profile as the wheel rotates, this is exactly what a big bang engine does, except now a screamer can play the same game. At zero degrees of wheel rotation, with an elliptical gear, whose semi major axis is vertical, the engine would "see" a large sprocket, and consequently the wheel would be easier to turn. At 90 degrees of wheel rotation, the semi minor axis would be vertical and the engine would "see" a small sprocket and the wheel would be harder to turn. What this means is that when the semi minor axis is at the vertical, this is the point at which it is most difficult for the engine to continue to over-apply force, and cause the wheel to continue sliding, allowing the rider a buffer that he doesn't get with a circular sprocket.

The added advantage of an elliptical gear is that it also eliminates the problem talked about earlier of decreasing the time between the application of force with increasing gear. Because it is the final drive sprocket, the application of force is greatest at 0 and 180 degrees (semi major axis at the vertical) and least at 90 and 270 degrees (semi minor axis at vertical) no matter what gear the bike is in. So in this case, the only thing acting to shorten the time between the application of force is naturally the increasing wheel speed, as described above.

Finally, there is the other argument for using the big bang engine, and it's an argument I can totally agree with. You can read about it in an article by Julian Ryder over on Superbikeplanet.com. It is the idea that a big bang configuration is able to somehow improve the quality of the "signal" that a rider receives from the rear tyre, so that they can better understand what the rear tyre is saying to them. Furusawa talks about a connection between throttle and tyre in terms of harmonics, and for me the explanation is simple. The philosophy is that with a big bang, and as I speculate an elliptical sprocket, you can apply some sort of input, such as the application of throttle to a tyre, and be given in return a useable amount of time to determine what that input has done to affect the motorcycle. It's like a feedback system, but with a screamer engine, the input is constant and permanent, there is no time to "hear" anything other than the input signal, you never get the chance to "hear" the feedback signal.

One potential problem for an elliptical rear sprocket is that it would cause the chain to flop around a bit more than usual, although I'm sure a simple mechanism could be devised to take the slack out of the chain, similar to a bicycle derailleur. In saying that however, the eccentricity of the sprocket would not need to be terribly much to achieve the desired effect, and a "derailleur" of sorts mightn't be necessary, and besides that, if you've ever been to a race and watched a chain driven motorcycle, you'd know how much the chain flops about anyway. It is not clear to me why none of the teams that have ever used a screamer style engine did not or have not tried this, as from an engineering perspective, it is the simplest solution to the problem. And according to Occam's razor, the simplest solution is usually the best.

Sean McConnell lives in Australia, and writes his own blog ranging over a broad spectrum of subjects called Join the RevoluSEAN!. You can also read the article printed above over on his blog.

posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:09 PM
shagzomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
valerossi
we meat again

Bike: O2 ¤ O4 R1
valerossi is on a distinguished road

Interesting read...

However, I trust Furusawa's words...

Quote:
Yamaha screamer will 'never' return.

Monday, 11th February 2008

"...So the connection between throttle and tyre is not good with the screamer - don't explain this to the Kawasaki people!" - Masao Furusawa

By Peter McLaren

Masao Furusawa, Yamaha's general manager of Engineering Operations, likes listening to Kawasaki's new screamer engine - but says the even-firing design will never again power a Yamaha MotoGP bike.

"We will never use a screamer engine again. Never!" said Furusawa, during an exclusive interview with Crash.net. "We threw away the screamer engine in 2003."

Furusawa, who has worked with Yamaha since the early 1970s, was put in charge of the YZR-M1 project upon Valentino Rossi's arrival in 2004 - and one of the first major technical changes was the introduction of a 'big-bang' 990cc engine.

Following Yamaha's example, the technology - previously seen in 500cc - was soon once again present throughout the premier-class field. However, last year's change to 800cc engines saw Ducati and then Honda return to a screamer, as maximum horsepower - the main advantage of a screamer - became a priority.

Whereas a screamer engine - so called due to its high-pitched engine note - features an equal amount of time between the firing of each cylinder, 'big-bang' engines have an uneven firing order.

So - in the case of a four-cylinder engine - two cylinders fire closely together (producing what sounds like one 'big bang'), then there is a longer than usual time period before the other two cylinders are fired (also closely together).

Kawasaki's development team rolled out the factory's superb sounding new screamer during the January Sepang test, although it didn't make a return appearance at last week's outing, much to Furusawa's disappointment.

"I hope Kawasaki brings it back! I like to listen to it. Their screamer is not here this time and honestly I don't like it," he smiled. "Please use the screamer engine!"

Nevertheless, Furusawa - who gave a detailed presentation on 'big-bang' at the season-ending Valencian Grand Prix - was happy to explain why Yamaha will be sticking with 'big-bang' for its grand prix prototype.

He describes the 'big-bang' effect in terms of a communication process between the rider and rear tyre, made via the engine. A communication process which, in the case of a screamer design, becomes increasingly distorted at high rev/min. 'Big-bang' engines keep this distortion to a minimum.

"Internally the 'big-bang' engine is very smooth during its rotations. It sounds like it is fluctuating a lot, because of the uneven combustion timing, but the reality is that it is very smooth at high rpm," he began.

"The screamer engine sounds very smooth, but over 12,000 rpm the motion of the moving parts inside the engine become a big problem. You can think of it as creating a big 'noise' that stops the rider from hearing what the tyre is 'saying' to him.

"The rider needs to listen carefully to the tyre and talk to it directly with the throttle, but the screamer engine makes it really hard to 'hear'. So the connection between throttle and tyre is not good with the screamer - don't explain this to the Kawasaki people!" he quipped. "I'm only joking!

"So the screamer engine sounds nice, but if the engine goes over 12,000 rpm then there are problems and in MotoGP the useable rpm is 14,000 to 17,000 - sometimes up to 19,000 - so a big 'noise' is happening at high rpm with a screamer and the rider cannot 'talk' to the tyre," he concluded.

Yamaha and Kawasaki are the only manufacturers to use an inline four-cylinder engine layout in MotoGP - Ducati, Honda and Suzuki all have V4 engines.

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ But if I am only 50% fit, I believe I can still win. ~ V. Rossi
¤ You can lose a lot of money chasing women, but you'll never lose women chasing money.
valerossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
valerossi
we meat again

Bike: O2 ¤ O4 R1
valerossi is on a distinguished road

About the elliptical rear sprocket, interesting idea... but I'm not sure if it's gonna work on a motorcycle wheel turning at high speed and with that much torque on the chain... :corn

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ But if I am only 50% fit, I believe I can still win. ~ V. Rossi
¤ You can lose a lot of money chasing women, but you'll never lose women chasing money.
valerossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Junior
7c Forever

Bike: KX250 + 1
Junior is on a distinguished road

the entire point of the big bang engines is to minimize rear wheel revolution speed "flutter" I see using an oblong rear sprocket as making that worse, not better.

in my mind the best course of action is mega-huge fly-wheels and the lightest possible reciprocating mass. Like the 211v had.

Alternately, spin the lowest RPM you can get away with, where the g's on the reciprocating assemblies are lowest, and so is the destabilizing force it's exerting on the rotating assembly.

that's my $0.02 anyhow, but this whole issue is so convoluted that nobody really knows up from down anyways.

Go Back   Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource > General Forum > Racing Section