Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

CDI box testing??

10K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  siuling337 
#1 ·
Anyone know how to test a CDI box??

I am working on a basket case 1985 FJ600, converting it to a old school cafe racer. Got the thing to turn over, but there is no spark. there is power to the coils, everything else seems to work.

Any other thoughts woud be appreciated.

I do have a lot of parts if someone needs them. I am stripping this thing down to the bare bones. I know it will not be as fast as my YZF750, but should be a lot of fun if I can get it going.

thanx!

#3 ·
I need to get to my Yamaha dealer today and find out. I see these things on ebay all the time and they say they are tested and guaranteed????

Who knows, I guess I will find out. If it fit on my YZF I would plug it in and see if it would run, but the wiring harness is different.

I do have a complete wiring harness from a 1996 YZF750 that I may be able to use, but I am not sure it would work with the engine electronics.

#5 ·
Anyone know how to test a CDI box??

I am working on a basket case 1985 FJ600, converting it to a old school cafe racer. Got the thing to turn over, but there is no spark. there is power to the coils, everything else seems to work.

Any other thoughts woud be appreciated.

thanx!
If your getting power to the coils that would indicate to me the cdi was working and your coils, ht lead or spark plugs failing, not saying the cdi is 100%. Have you tried a proven set of coils or tried testing the coils with a multimeter, which ohm resistance is in the manual. Just because its a black box of magic dont think thats the weakest link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.