Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

motor swap?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  superbiker_019 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone
i have a couple questions, first ? does anyone know where i can get info or settings for the vance & hines power pack? i know you can set it to 12 different configurations but don't know what i should set it for on the track. In the first couple gears it doesn't produce power after 9 grand so i can't take it to redline. Next ? has anyone done a motor swap with an R1 motor can you shoe horn it into the frame with minimal modifications of the mounts?, I know you can put in a yzf or fzr 1000 motor but i would love to upgrade to a R1 motor if possible?
I bought this bike last summer for 800 bucks put a couple hundred into it and it seems to run good and handles pretty good compared to my crusty old 88 suzuki gsxr7/11. I just hate those little R6s beating me on the straights but i always get them back under braking and in the corners . Its a great track bike just not enough power to keep up with the newer bikes as all my buddies at the track have late modle track bikes . Can anyone offer any tips on either ? for an old retire roadracer wanting to bang the bars with my buddies on a limited budget?

#3 ·
I think the problem your going to encounter with the 1000 motors is you'll gain more weight and lose some of the handling so the R6's will still pass you. I'd think heads and cam work maybe a better way of getting power without the neg weight.

#4 ·
motor swap

i hear what your saying about the wait gain, but that is minimal compared to the power increase i will gain with a bigger motor, we built a few yamamonsters in the mid 90s that were cranking out 180 hp and that was huge back then . My buddy Mark competted on a 89 owo1 with fzr1000 motor and place 3rd atleast 4 years in a row in the Canadian Superbike series, and when the 93s first came out we did 1000 conversions that just rocked. So i am hoping to do an updated swap with a R1 motor just wondering if anyone has heard of one being done? cause i have a line on a 2002 R1 motor with just over 10,000 miles for 500 bucks with everything needed to make it run , now thats a steal,,,, maybe it is stolen....lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.