Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

R1 wont start

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Vexzer 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2001 R1 which doesn't start. I've had the bike for around 2 months. It's in good condition, done 18k miles on the clock.

The only issue I have is the servo motor needs replacing, I've tried fixing it, but I still get the tachometer error display. I've also purchased a new battery.

So here's what happened:

Rode the bike to work (18 mile trip), on the way back I filled it with around 6 litres of petrol (topped up tank), bike rode file for around 10 miles, just as I was slowing down to pull into my drive the bike starts to splutter as if it's out of fuel - which it isn't.

From that point onwards, whenever I try to start the bike, the engine kicks in for a second and then dies, I can keep the engine revving for another second if I keep on turning the throttle but the engine will not kick into life.
I've checked fuel tap is set to on and charged battery.

Any ideas much appreciated.

tx

aw

See less See more
#3 ·
I always use the choke to start from cold.

The tach jumps like crazy, from 0 to 2.5, to 7 and then back - I'm pretty sure this is due to a failed servo motor. However a failed servo will not explain why the bike doesn't start - I've got a servo motor on order.

The only thing I can think of is that I've somehow put diesel in, which I'm fairly sure I didn't - am thinking of emptying out fuel tank and refilling with a fresh supply - really don't want to clean the carbs out...

#4 ·
those tach readings mean something. did you check what the 7k reading on the tach means with the diagnostic? i'd check, but my service manual is on my home computer. i want to say it's the throttle position sensor. i've had to adjust mine before. who else has the service manual handy?

keep us up to date on this as i hate to hear about anyone having problems with their bike.

yamajj

#7 ·
i need my diagnostic reset. 3k - throttle position sensor, 4k - speed sensor, 7k - exup system.

come to think of it, i had to adjust my exup cable.....once upon a time, but it was on my '97 yzf1000.

good luck....and i knew someone would come thru with the diags.:lmao

yamajj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.