Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

no power to my ignition when i turn the key

10K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  yamboyzf 
#1 ·
hi guys i started my bike up yesterday great start and when i turned the lights on the engine cut out and i have no ignition at all no power to anything apart from the alarm and the batery is perfect. how can i test to find the problem ??? maybe its the ignition switch starter relay
ignition fuse ok and wires seam ok . all i have changed recent is the headlight bulbs to 100w xenon i have changed these back now still the same any help would be grateful thanks.

#2 ·
One easy way to tell were to start is if you turn the key now, do idiot lights on the gauges light up and will the head lights turn on. If yes then it is not the ignition, if no then you have a wire problem.You can test the ignition switch by unplugging it then use a multi-meter to see if you are getting current through the switch when you turn the key to on. Same thing really for the start button. From there I would start looking at the starter solenoid and the starter motor. Having the manual will help out with this as it contains a section for trouble shooting the electrical system. There are a few relays and other components that need to work for everything to crank up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.