Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

95 FZR 1000 build

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  omnivore 
#1 ·
Picked this up for song the other day, it has no motor. Any help sourcing one would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I race with two guys who have a 1000 motor- they were gonna try to stick it in a YZF but then the rules for our vintage race class changed to a 900cc limit....so the motor has no use now.

#3 ·
I acquired a 750 complete that had a rod which came loose. I figured I would rebuild it. After searching and reading, I found that parts for it are almost non existent. So, I figured I would do a 1000 in it..... again I hit a brick wall. they are out there but hard to find. When you find them, they are pricey. I've always liked the 750R but have never owned one. Since I paid nothing for the bike, I figured it was worth a try, so I started looking at a spare 05 R1 motor that I've had sitting in the garage. then I said.... nahh. Then I woke up hungry in the middle of the night and figured I would go to the garage. I couldn't resist the temptation, so I took a few quick measurements and found that the frame is damn near (and probably is) big enough to slam a Busa motor in it. Today, I played around and gave it a try. I was aware and expecting that I'll have to make some bracket adapters, so after starting to jig up the engine, it actually is going to work. There seems to be plenty of room to make the top mount bracket adapters , and the rear top and bottom like up pretty much spot on. I wont even worry about the airbox situation as there is obviously a lot of room to know it will fit under the tank. Im in the preliminary stage but I thought I would share that info. Ive read a number of postings with people asking if other generations will work in that frame and haven't seen anyone that has done one other than the 02 R1 conversion that you probably are already aware of. I have also a 2011 R1 and my real gola now is to do a crossplane in this 750. I won't cannibalize my 11 model of course but I just got lucky and found that a friend has an 09 motor at his house. Either way, its just another option to consider if you have no luck getting another drop in for it. As with anything else, it wont come without some fabrication and creativity, however, as a normal everyday guy like myself, I can tell ya that THIS conversion is possible without re-inventing the wheel based on what I have done just in an hours time. pics to follow in a few

#4 ·
Here's a few pics so far

Attachments

#6 ·
Well, due to the delay getting the spare engine, I'm going to just go with the 05 motor. It should be ok. Btw..... I'm in the process of turboing it also. Finishing up the manifold today and all I'll have left is some plumming. I've got a diy turbo thread going in the R1 forum if you want to see the deal on that. So far, I'm making some progress, so hopefully soon I'll be able to start it up just in time to lock it down for the winter lol

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.