Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

96 fzr 600 wont start. pleeeze help me

20K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  killawife 
#1 · (Edited)
ok where to start??this bike has been sitting for 2 years in my cold garage. i cleaned the carbs ,fuel tank. and put new cr8e ngk plugs in. the fuel pump is working perfectly.all four carbs are sucking in and i get fuel on my hand when i cover them . all four spark plugs seem to be getting perect spark and yes all the plug wires are on the correct spark plugs i spray starting fluid in the spark plug holes and then try to start it i get alot of backfiring but the bike refuses to run for me at all it just cranks and cranks and cranks but will not kick over and stay on.. when i had the carbs off i could see that the valves were working correctly although they did have some gunk on them please help me i just wanna riiiiiddddeeee .

i said alot of backfiring thats not true i get a backfire occasionally out the exhaust and sometimes from carb one ...sorry

#2 ·
Try spraying some starter fluid through the carbs and see if it starts. Often the engine needs some help to suck fuel and the starter fluid will also tell you if you have a problem. If the engine doesn't start with starter fluid you most likely have a spark problem. If it starts but dies you have a fuel problem.

I always have to use starter fluid when I've had the carbs off on my bike otherwise I can chug the starter a long long long time before anything happens.

#3 ·
i have tried over and over again to get the bike to start with starting fluid thru the carbs into the spark plug holes ands directly into the valves themselves and no luck but an occasional backfire and same result nothing just cranks and cranks but will not kick over. im tempted to put it all back together and drift start it and see if that works but if it doesnt ill have to strip it all back down . i dont understand why it will not fire using the electric start its driving me nuts

#4 ·
im gonna check the coils and see what they are outputting to the sparkplug does anyne know what voltage they should be sending ?? ill let you know what i find but if i get an occasional backfire im assuming they are sparking. maybe just not enough i dunno im stumped ill let you know what i find out

#6 ·
ok well i checked my coils and all four spark plug gaps again and verything check out perfect but i found that plug #3 does not go down far enough and is not getting tight could this be causing me to lose compression and therefor the problem ?? wouldnt the bike still start on one cylinder? i am going to get a helicoil tomorrow and remedy that problem hopefully thats all it is . any input would be awesome

#7 ·
oh and when i took the spark plugs out to check them there was fuel on all four of them so spark plus fuel should give me some result wth is goin on is there a sensor somewhere that tells the bike not to start it cant be the kill switch or it wouldnt send spark to the plugs ahhh im so stumped

#9 ·
right now im running no air filter normally i run a k&n cone filter but right now i have no air box on the bike and no gas tank , i have a clean jar of 93 octane fuel running straight to the fuel pump into the carbs and into the cylinders im getting fuel at the spark plugs and i have spark its kinda weak spark i feel, but i have spark on all 4 plugs and fuel . i have my battery hooked to a trickle charging and the bike cranks very strongly just wont kick over and run ever . just the occasional backfire.

#10 ·
You should put your filters on and see if she fires up, the k&n ones create a better vacuum for the engine so itll get more oxygen and better ignition. An even better thing to do would be to get 12" of 2" inside diameter hose and make four 3" velocity stacks, itll make the best air flow rate, less chaos in the air (its what Im doing with radiator hose)

#11 · (Edited)
i will put the filter b\and airbox back on and try but i had it on before it and dint start then hence tearing it down i really dont see that making any difference in getting the BIKE TO START and same with the carb sync u can sync ur carbs unless the bike is idling therefore im fuct and need to get this think firing im about to scrap it and mark it as a loss

i will however try to make my own velocity stacks if i can get the bike to run sounds fun im taking i should run the 3 inch tubing to the air inlets by my coils ??

#12 ·
ok nick i went out and put the airbox on and it still sounded the same cranks cranks cranks wont fire so i decided to rip the exhaust off and see if anything was blocking it and i found aboiut 2 cups of fuel laying in the bottom of the pipes what does that mean A??? now the bike still wont fire with the exhaust offf but its really really trying to now and sounds like it almost will im gonna let it sit tonight and dry out but let me know what u think please it mighta been water mixed in there too it smelled like paint stripper.

#13 ·
Wow ok, there sounds like it could be a lot of things
1. your headgasket is toast, which would mean that paint thinner smell is coolant+oil+gas
2. You are waaayyyy to many screws out on the carbs. You should be 2.5 screws out to start
3. You just flooded it with starter fluid and it'll fire right up after you let it dry tonight

Im rooting for #3
let me know how it goes
oh, and put the headers back on, but without the muffler so your engine doesnt just shoot gas onto the front tire if your too rich, and/or grenade if your too lean

And thats not what I was thinking but that would make wayyy more sense than the stock set up.... Ill draw something up, I just got my piping in the mail today :)

#14 ·
im hoping for number three also but i am gonna check all the air fuel adjustment screws beforehand i was also gonna make an attachment for my shopvace and vac out the spark plug holes .. the good news is it was nothing but fuel it was a clear liquid absolutely no oil or coolant in the exhaust i can also hear the fuel sloshing around the head as i was trying to turn it over yesterday wish me luck ill let you know what happns think im getting closer to the problem and gaining a little faith back. as for the velocity stacks if we hooked it to the two intake tubes wouldnt that make it a forced air velocity stack would that even work ??? i like that idea tho and when mine finally fires i think im gonna inker around with that also .

#15 ·
okay bad new i think u tell me what u think if your sittting on the bike the left 4 intake valves below the carberateur have coolant on them and those same 4 exhaust valves have coolant on them also the right 4 intake and exhaust seem fine and dry im assuming coolant is getting in with my gas and causing it not to combust is this a head gasket issue and is it worth fixing or just chalk it up as a loss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.