2009 R1 starting problem...Please help - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
General Bike Discussion All other bikes talk & other makes or models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

2009 R1 starting problem...Please help

My 09 r1 cranks over, engine sounds like it wants to start but it wont. Very little smoke comes out of my exhaust, every time I try to start it. After the third try of trying to start it, the engine would sound like the battery is draing out and once the battery is drain out. All I hear is a ticking nosie coming from where that battery is located. I have a brand new battery and it still wont start up. Same thing goes for the new battery. Cranks over with smoke coming out of the exhaust, sounds like it wants to start but it wont. After the third try, the bike wont even crank or turn over at all. All I hear is a loud ticking nosie coming from the battery. Could I have flood the engine and need to replace the spark plugs or what could it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vila_vang06 View Post
My 09 r1 cranks over, engine sounds like it wants to start but it wont. Very little smoke comes out of my exhaust, every time I try to start it. After the third try of trying to start it, the engine would sound like the battery is draing out and once the battery is drain out. All I hear is a ticking nosie coming from where that battery is located. I have a brand new battery and it still wont start up. Same thing goes for the new battery. Cranks over with smoke coming out of the exhaust, sounds like it wants to start but it wont. After the third try, the bike wont even crank or turn over at all. All I hear is a loud ticking nosie coming from the battery. Could I have flood the engine and need to replace the spark plugs or what could it be?
I had this very same problem...i had to replace my rectifier/regulator...apparently it killed my battery too so i had to replace that also.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Sand Expert

The plugs could be fouled, but why? No spark to the plugs, no fuel to the cylinders, no air to the cylinders, no power to the coils. good luck
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Fouled plug because I gave it alittle bit of gas when pressing the start button. I was told not to give it gas becasue it can cause the engine to flood. The dealership told me to change the spark plug then it should be find. Is this true?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM
time in a bottle

the three real common reasons for fould spark plugs are

starting the bike and letting run for just a minute then shutting it off. not letting it warm up. I.E. not riding it .

starting the bike with bad gas in the tank . bad fuel caused from no fuel stabilizer - sitting parked for a long time.

jetting problems ( yours is fuel injected IIRC) so slow cranking without getting it started I.E. dead battery.

you don't need to give it any throttle on start up , but I'm wondering if you are starting the bike to ride it or just to hear it run. if you just replaced the battery chances are you fouled the plugs when you tried to start it on a dead battery.

David
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

So basicly, the first step I should take is, change out the spark plug and make sure the battey is full/good?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM
time in a bottle

Yeah , a weak battery is a common problem.

have it charged and tested by a dealership or charge it with a battery charger that is able to charge agm batteries .

any time you start the bike you should ride it .

letting the bike idle without the intent to ride it (clear it out) will add to the chances of fouling plugs.

most people (myself included ) love to hear the bike run in the winter but can't ride it obviously due to the weather . starting a bike and not riding it does not clean the plugs out , and actually drains the battery . because most charging systems don't really gain below 4000 rpm it is usually a draw on the batt.

David
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
time in a bottle

also ,

never charge your battery off of a car charger without matching the amps .

never try to jump start a bike off a running car.

its best to buy a battery charger designed to work with motorcycles
I use a ctek charger and leave it hooked to the bike the whole winter .. it is a smart charger cost $40 . and requires no adjusting or maintaining . plug and go .

David
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 07:30 AM

It's probley your starter motor carping out. I replaced mine and it fires up all the time. Just pay to get it checked
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM

You can surf the Internet access to relevant data and information, and discuss with friends, maybe can help you, wish you good luck.