R1 wont start - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

R1 wont start

Hi,
I have a 2001 R1 which doesn't start. I've had the bike for around 2 months. It's in good condition, done 18k miles on the clock.

The only issue I have is the servo motor needs replacing, I've tried fixing it, but I still get the tachometer error display. I've also purchased a new battery.

So here's what happened:

Rode the bike to work (18 mile trip), on the way back I filled it with around 6 litres of petrol (topped up tank), bike rode file for around 10 miles, just as I was slowing down to pull into my drive the bike starts to splutter as if it's out of fuel - which it isn't.

From that point onwards, whenever I try to start the bike, the engine kicks in for a second and then dies, I can keep the engine revving for another second if I keep on turning the throttle but the engine will not kick into life.
I've checked fuel tap is set to on and charged battery.

Any ideas much appreciated.

tx

aw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 AM

are you using the choke? when is the last time you changed the plugs? what does the tach show you? it's a diagnostic and it may be the throttle position sensor.

yamajj

oh come on.......it's only money
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

I always use the choke to start from cold.

The tach jumps like crazy, from 0 to 2.5, to 7 and then back - I'm pretty sure this is due to a failed servo motor. However a failed servo will not explain why the bike doesn't start - I've got a servo motor on order.

The only thing I can think of is that I've somehow put diesel in, which I'm fairly sure I didn't - am thinking of emptying out fuel tank and refilling with a fresh supply - really don't want to clean the carbs out...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 AM

those tach readings mean something. did you check what the 7k reading on the tach means with the diagnostic? i'd check, but my service manual is on my home computer. i want to say it's the throttle position sensor. i've had to adjust mine before. who else has the service manual handy?

keep us up to date on this as i hate to hear about anyone having problems with their bike.

yamajj

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenger View Post
I always use the choke to start from cold.

The tach jumps like crazy, from 0 to 2.5, to 7 and then back - I'm pretty sure this is due to a failed servo motor. However a failed servo will not explain why the bike doesn't start - I've got a servo motor on order.

The only thing I can think of is that I've somehow put diesel in, which I'm fairly sure I didn't - am thinking of emptying out fuel tank and refilling with a fresh supply - really don't want to clean the carbs out...
I was thinking the same thing... drain it and start over and see what happens...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 AM
time in a bottle

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM

i need my diagnostic reset. 3k - throttle position sensor, 4k - speed sensor, 7k - exup system.

come to think of it, i had to adjust my exup cable.....once upon a time, but it was on my '97 yzf1000.

good luck....and i knew someone would come thru with the diags.

yamajj

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Schwantzing thru Texas

David,
Post the "Race Mode" page!

'My kitty raised his back, went 'Fffff, Fffff, Fffff, Fffff'...
And before he could say 'Fuck', the Rottweiler ate him!'